Flavourful & delicious along with rice dishes such as Timman Z'affaran (Iraqi Saffron Rice With Meat) or Layered Carrots and Rice – Jizer M’tubuq adding beef and using cooked chopped green beans instead of carrots or Saudi Rice With Lamb and Potato. A recipe modified from http://www.recipesbyrachel.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g sweet pumpkin, peeled, cut into 3/4 inch chunks
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 226.79 g canned plum tomatoes, chopped into small chunks
- 9.85 ml tomato paste
- 44.37 ml canola oil (Iraqi's use corn oil but we are allergic to corn)
- sea salt, to taste
- 3.69 ml curry powder (I always use Iraqi Curry Powder, to taste)
- 0.25 ml cayenne (or to taste)
- 1Put oil, onions, pepper, and spices into a large pot and sauté on medium flame until the onions are soft and golden adding the minced garlic near the end of cooking time.
- 2Add tomato chunks (no liquid yet, save that for later) sauté the tomatoes a short time.
- 3Add 1 cup water, including the liquid from the canned tomatoes too and the pumpkin chunks.
- 4Let cook until they are slightly soft.
- 5Dissolve the tomatoes paste in 1 cup water and add it into pot, together with the sea salt.
- 6Cover the pot, and bring to a boil then lower flame to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 7Shut off flame.
- 8You may remove to serving dish and serve immediately; however, the taste is better after it sits for a longer period of time. If doing that, allow to cool, then refrigerate in the same pot for a day. When reheating, use the same pot: if needed add a little bit of water, bring it to boil, and let it sit on low
- 9flame for a couple of minutes. Transfer to serving dish and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iraqi Pumpkin Stew (Qur’iyi Murag)
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.9
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 99.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 1.4 g