Dienia B.'s Note:
From sooogood. Do not make this in a rice cooker. It is not Chinese food. Because the rice is steam cooked, it is important not to open lid while cooking, and to add the correct amount of water. One recipe uses ketchup, not tomato paste. I am adding the option of adding more water for a mushier rice per UmmBinat's suggestion since she is from the region and would know. Cook to your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash rice 3 times. We are not making sticky rice here.
- 2Saute onion in olive oil or veggie oil ,on medium heat for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- 3Add rice until all grains are cooked.
- 4Add water with tomato paste and salt and pepper mixed inches.
- 5Turn flame up to high.
- 6When mixture comes to a boil, cover with a tight fitting lid.
- 7Reduce to a simmer; allow to cook 20 minutes; turn off heat.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iraqi Pink Rice
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.3
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 648.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 3.7 g