Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has a lovely flavour. Nice with a cup of tea when craving something sweet. I think this is a very old Iraqi recipe. Here is what Nawal Nasrallah author of, Delights from the Garden of Eden has to say about it. "A simple rice sweet enjoyed with a spoon. It is important to toast the rice to perfection, as this will give the dessert a delicate golden hue and a wonderful aroma. She is of Iraqi decent. Modified slightly from her recipe.
- Dissolve white sugar and water in a pot and boil for 5 minutes.
- In another pan melt butter and fold in rice flour. stir constantly until rice starts to change colour and emit a pleasant aroma, about 10 minutes.
- Take pots off heat and gradually pour syrup into flour, stirring all the time with a wire whisk to prevent lumping.
- Return pot to heat and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Add freshly ground cardamom and rose water 5 minutes before it is done.
- Spread onto plates and garnish top with toasted almond slivers & crushed pistachio nuts (the green of them in mainly for looks so I just use a tiny bit).
My goodness this was good! I reduced the sugar to 1/3 cup and even then it was plenty sweet. You don't however want to reduce the sugar too much or you won't have that syrup which is an important part of the recipe. The rice cereal was cooked in less than 8 minutes pointing out that it was cooked on a low simmer. For my serving I threw a few barberries on top and splashed a liitle bit of rice milk around the edges. Let's just say I didn't want to share any of this because I wanted it all to myself! ;) Reviewed for NA*ME tag.