1 hr 5 mins
"It’s called samak tibsi in Iraq, samak meaning fish and a tibs being the kind of pot it is usually baked in. Despite the long oven time, the fish remains moist thanks to the syrup and the insulation of the vegetables." This is wonderful served over Bahraini Sweet Rice (Muhammar) along with a fresh salad masha Allah. Both dried limes and pomegranate molasses can be found in Middle Eastern shops. Modified from a recipe found on http://desertcandy.blogspot.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon allspice (or 1 tbs Another Allspice Substitute (Halal))
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste, I don't use when using the Another Allspice Substitute (Halal) I just add a bit more of that recipe)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper (original recipe called for 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes which I couldn't locate)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs thick white fish fillets (such as orange roughy or red snapper)
- 3 large sweet onions
- 4 dried limes (loomi, noomi basra in Middle Eastern stores, may use white or black version)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb tomato, sliced
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses dissolved in 3/4 cup water
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F Combine the spices in a small bowl. Rub half the spices over the fish fillets.
- 2Grease a casserole dish with 1 tbs of the butter.
- 3Thinly slice the onions and seperate into rings.
- 4Toss the onions with the remaining spices to coat.
- 5Spread half the onions in the bottom of your dish.
- 6Cut the fish into medium-sized pieces and arrange over the onions.
- 7Cut several slits in the dried limes and nestle them amongst the fish.
- 8Scatter the minced garlic over top.
- 9Dot the remaining tablespoon of butter over top.
- 10Top with the remaining onions, then cover the whole dish with the tomato slices. Overlap the tomato slices slightly as the will shrink when baking.
- 11Pour the pomegranate molasses dissolved in 3/4 cup water, over top.
- 13NOTE: When serving, you shouldn't actually eat the dried limes (loomi)!
Browse Our Top Orange Roughy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iraqi Fish With Pomegranate and Loomi (Samak Tibsi)
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.9
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 167.6 mg
- Sodium 227.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 44.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: