1 hr 30 mins
We had this wonderful dish last weekend, and I had to post it right away! The flavours of the vegetables and meatballs complement each other very well, and the smell while baking fills your kitchen... NOTE:Do not skip the step of frying the vegetables, I think it is absolutely necessary!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry eggplants, potatoes and onion rings in hot oil.
- 2Mix the ground meat with paprika powder, salt and pepper and form little meat-balls, about 20 pieces.
- 3Fry the meat-balls in hot oil.
- 4Layer ingredients in a large baking dish in this order: Eggplants, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, meatballs.
- 5Mix the water together with tomato paste, chopped parsley, garlic, pepper and about 3 teaspoons salt.
- 6Pour the liquid over the vegetables and the meatballs.
- 7Bake in oven at 200°C, for about one hour.
- 8Cover if necessary.
- 9Serve with cooked rice or pita bread and some crumbled feta-cheese!
Browse Our Top Iraqi Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iraqi Eggplant-Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (822 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.5
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 73.0 mg
- Sodium 180.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.2 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 25.1 g