Recipe by UmmBinat
A delicious sweet snack which would go well with tea or coffee. Originally POSTED FOR RAMADAN TAG, yet I have since tried it and enjoyed. Out of The Complete Middle East Cookbook By Tess Mallos.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I thoroughly enjoyed fixing this treat almost as much as I loved devouring it! Made it with very moist Medjool dates & was very pleased with the results! Great combo, dates & sesame seeds! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]
- 1 lb dates, dried & pitted (I used Medjool)
- 1⁄4 cup ghee (I used butter but it may burn)
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted in a dry frying pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop dates roughly and place in a heavy pan with the ghee.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until dates soften, and are combined with the ghee.
- spread half the date mixture in a 9 in (23 cm) square pan.
- Sprinkle walnut pieces over the dates, pressing them in lightly. Place remaining date mixture on top, spreading it evenly.
- Sprinkle evenly with toasted sesame seeds, pressing them on lightly.
- Leave until cool and cut into small squares or diamond shapes.
- Store in a sealed container and serve as a sweetmeat.