Recipe by UmmBinat
Many Iraqi recipes call for curry powder and this is the way I make it. An example of a recipe I use this in often is Layered Carrots and Rice – Jizer M’tubuq. It is best to buy whole spices and grind them yourself. You can see this recipe made here in this cute video on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmS_xOd2CBo. Modified from a recipe found on www.recipesbyrachel.com. I think I cut down the cayenne pepper powder even more as we do not like heat. Feel free to do that also. It is still flavourful.
- 59.16 ml freshly ground coriander
- 29.58 ml cumin
- 29.58 ml turmeric
- 22.18-29.58 ml ground cayenne pepper (See introduction if you want to use less)
- 4.92 ml paprika (I think this is mainly for colour, I like to add it)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend together as many freshly ground spices in the ingredients list as you can get and mix with the rest of them pre-ground.
- Taste and if you like and add more cayenne depending how spicy you like it.
- Enjoy in an Iraqi recipe calling for curry powder.