Found this recipe while looking for an Iraqi chicken and potatoes dish requested in the NA/ME forum. (From chicken to cookies, yes my mind wanders.) Saw this and thought it would be a great addition to 'Zaar for all my cardamom loving friends. The original recipe is from "The World of Jewish Cooking." Posting for some future ZWT.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheets with a light coating of cooking spray, oil or butter. (Looks like parchment paper would also work well with these cookies.).
- Sift together the flour, cardamom, salt, and baking powder.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and eggs until light and creamy. Stir in the flour mixture, then the ground almonds.
- Pinch off a small piece of dough and hand form into 1-inch balls, moistening your hands with rose water or orange blossom water, if desired. Place on the prepared baking sheets and flatten slightly. Press a whole almond into the center of each cookie.
- Bake until lightly browned about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.