Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
This recipe came from one of the Fix It and Forget It cookbooks. I don't drain the cans of beans and I omit the water. It works for me. I also don't peel the tomato. Added note: I noticed reviewers mentioning using broth and I even made this somewhat recently and forgot to *not* drain the beans. It's way better with just dumping the beans and their, um, bean juice? right into the pan and skipping the water. So I'm correcting the recipe to remove the words "drained" (beans) and "1 quart water".
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs stewing beef (or lamb)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- Serve into pita pockets with a slotted spoon.
- I serve with Hoda's Cucumber-Yogurt. Combine 32 ounces of plain yogurt with 1 large cucumber peeled and diced (about .5 cm size), a LOT of dill (at least a tablespoon), and salt to taste. (I asked my friend Hoda what it's called and she told me in Persian. I said, "what does that mean?" "Cucumbers and Yogurt." Well, okay.).
This was okay and I think if I used veggie or beef broth or even used the liquid from the beans instead of the water the stew would have had more flavor -- with just water this definitely needed something to kick it up a notch. I added a package of baby carrots which made it more of a soupy beef/bean/vegetable soup which we enjoyed. Thanks for sharing!
So simple and freezes beautifully. I used beef stock instead of water and I served it with fresh chopped coriander (cilantro) and LF Fromage Frais and a plain naan bread. Nice, inexpensive hearty meal.
Very tasty and EASY to make. I used a combination of veggie and beef broth instead of H2O and left over great northern beans inplace of the canned white beans. Served it with focaccia and naan. Looking forward to left overs. Thanks