Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have made this twice now and I love it.
Make and share this Iranian Rice With Potato Crust and Saffron recipe from Food.com.
- Clean, wash, and soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Cook in a pan with 4 cups water.
- Boil on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, stir rice, and leave on low heat again for 5 minutes, then drain in a sieve.
- Mix saffron and warm water; set aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut into thick round slices.
- Pour saffron in a pan.
- Add 2 tbsps. melted butter and potatoes, and mix very well.
- Spread sliced potatoes in the bottom of the pan and spoon all rice over.
- Sprinkle with remaining butter.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and leave on very low fire until done.
- Transfer rice to a platter so that sliced potatoes are on top of rice.
5 stars with butter I'm sure. Since the recipe says to cut the potatoes into thick round slices you definitely should lightly fry the potatoes, this also gives more flavour to the dish. I did mine in olive oil as we are dairy free here. In place of the butter I used some grape seed oil and like Morti, after the rice is cooked I rim the pan with paper towels and put on a tight fitting lid. This was good without the butter but not as flavorful. I did add some sea salt at the end as I felt it needed it without the addition of butter. I may make this again with a dish that has a sauce to it.
One of my favorite way to make persian rice! I love those crisp potatoes. I always placed tea towel on top of the pot before putting the lid on to absorb some of the steam and the potatoes were crisper.