Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of the most amazing dishes I've ever eaten. Rich and savory!
- 3 cups long-grain rice, well-rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup melted margarine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron, dissolved in 2 tbs warm water (optional)
- 1 lb frozen lima beans
- 1⁄4 cup dried dill weed, or 3/4 cup fresh
Iranian Yogurt and Spinach (Borani-Ye Esfenaj)
- 1 lb spinach, fresh or frozen
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- Cook lima beans until done.
- Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Add rice to water.
- Boil 5-10 minutes , until rice is no longer crunchy, but still firm.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Drain rice in colander.
- Mix beans and dill weed with the rice.
- Put half of the melted margarine in the bottom of the rice pot.
- Put the rice back into the pot, a spoonful at a time, heaping it into a mound, not touching sides of pot.
- With a chopstick or similar tool, poke holes in the rice in several places.
- Pour the remaining melted margarine over the rice.
- Cover the underside of the pot lid with a dish towel, and put lid tightly on pot.
- Cook rice about 20 minutes over medium heat, then turn heat to low, and cook for another 30 minutes.
- The rice on the bottom of the pot should become golden and crispy.
- Soak bottom of pot in cold water for a few minutes, to loosen this.
- Put rice onto a serving platter, surrounded by chunks of crispy rice.
- Take 2/3 cup of the rice, mix it with the dissolved saffron, and sprinkle over the rest of the rice as a garnish.
- Cook spinach in lightly salted water until tender
- Drain well.
- Set aside.
- Heat margarine or oil in a pan.
- Add onions, and fry until golden.
- Add spinach and fry together briefly.
- Turn off heat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving bowl or dish.
- Mix in yogurt.
When we were in Iran (5 years) we would make this with lentel beans. Yogurt with onion and cummbers. Alot of fresh sliced veg.
this is a really good dish to make i used a little turmeric with my cheap saffron , it just helped
Absolutely stunningly DELICIOUS!!! Made for Visiting Iran in the NA/ME Forum 6/12.