1 hr 30 mins
Carol Bullock's Note:
This is one of the most amazing dishes I've ever eaten. Rich and savory!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups long-grain rice, well-rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 1/4 cup melted margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron, dissolved in 2 tbs warm water (optional)
- 1 lb frozen lima beans
- 1/4 cup dried dill weed, or 3/4 cup fresh
Iranian Yogurt and Spinach (Borani-Ye Esfenaj)
- 1Cook lima beans until done.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- 5Add rice to water.
- 6Boil 5-10 minutes , until rice is no longer crunchy, but still firm.
- 7Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 8Drain rice in colander.
- 9Mix beans and dill weed with the rice.
- 10Put half of the melted margarine in the bottom of the rice pot.
- 11Put the rice back into the pot, a spoonful at a time, heaping it into a mound, not touching sides of pot.
- 12With a chopstick or similar tool, poke holes in the rice in several places.
- 13Pour the remaining melted margarine over the rice.
- 14Cover the underside of the pot lid with a dish towel, and put lid tightly on pot.
- 15Cook rice about 20 minutes over medium heat, then turn heat to low, and cook for another 30 minutes.
- 16The rice on the bottom of the pot should become golden and crispy.
- 17Soak bottom of pot in cold water for a few minutes, to loosen this.
- 18Put rice onto a serving platter, surrounded by chunks of crispy rice.
- 19Take 2/3 cup of the rice, mix it with the dissolved saffron, and sprinkle over the rest of the rice as a garnish.
- 20Cook spinach in lightly salted water until tender
- 21Drain well.
- 23Set aside.
- 24Heat margarine or oil in a pan.
- 25Add onions, and fry until golden.
- 26Add spinach and fry together briefly.
- 27Turn off heat.
- 28Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 29Transfer to serving bowl or dish.
- 30Mix in yogurt.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iranian Rice with Beans and Dill Weed (Baqala Polo)
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.0
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 403.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: