Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A step that makes all the difference in cooking the rice for your Persian dishes. From My Persian Kitchen.
- Scoop out as many cups of rice as needed for your recipe in a bowl.
- Wash rice several times under water until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice with salt water over night, or at least one hour.
- Drain your rice.
- Bring fresh water to a boil in a pot. Add salt and rice. Keep an eye on it. As soon as the water start to boil, it will take 10 minutes for the rice to cook.
- Lower the heat to low once your water starts boiling and cook for those 10 minutes. While cooking, gently scoop the rice from the bottom of the pot and bring to the surface and release. Do this several times. (This is NOT stirring).
- Place a colander with small holes in the sink. Drain rice in colander.
- Your rice should be soft and cooked, but not mushy.
- Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Proceed with your recipe.
This rice turned out perfect using this method to make Persian Rice With Barberries (Zereshk Polow), masha Allah. I will use this often. Reviewed for Spring 2011 PAC, Pick A Chef.