3 hrs 10 mins
Haleem is a thick Persian high calorie dish. It is a special dish prepared during Ramadan in Iran since its good for the stomach. In Iran, Haleem is made of wheat and Turkey. This dish is slow cooked for some hours which results in a paste like consistency.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place turkey, onion and salt in a pot. Lower heat and cook until turkey is done (about 1 hour). If juices evaporate before turkey is done, add 1/4 cup water. When turkey is cooked, remove from the pot and mash with a potato masher.
- 2Add water to the bulgur to barely cover it (1 litr is enough), then bring to a boil.
- 3Stir occasionally, to prevent the formation of a crust on the bottom of the pan.
- 4In a food processor, mash bulgur into a soft paste and set aside.
- 5Return turkey and bulgur to the pot, mix well and cook over low heat for 2 hours. Then add butter, sugar and sesame.
- 6Serve it in a bowl, sprinkled with cinnamon.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iranian Haleem
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.1
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 85.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.0 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 32.2 g