Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Haleem is a thick Persian high calorie dish. It is a special dish prepared during Ramadan in Iran since its good for the stomach. In Iran, Haleem is made of wheat and Turkey. This dish is slow cooked for some hours which results in a paste like consistency.
- 1 liter water
- 1 lb turkey breast (skinless)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1⁄2 lb bulgur
- sugar (optional)
- ghee (optional)
- Place turkey, onion and salt in a pot. Lower heat and cook until turkey is done (about 1 hour). If juices evaporate before turkey is done, add 1/4 cup water. When turkey is cooked, remove from the pot and mash with a potato masher.
- Add water to the bulgur to barely cover it (1 litr is enough), then bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally, to prevent the formation of a crust on the bottom of the pan.
- In a food processor, mash bulgur into a soft paste and set aside.
- Return turkey and bulgur to the pot, mix well and cook over low heat for 2 hours. Then add butter, sugar and sesame.
- Serve it in a bowl, sprinkled with cinnamon.