Recipe by littlemafia
A quick Iranian dish and very popular. Leave out the meat and make it a vegetarian dish. Make sure to soak the rice 3-4 hours prior to cooking.
Top Review by natedbaby
MOST EXCELLENT! A true comfort food dish! Don't skimp on the onions and remember to fry them until they are golden to bring out their sweetness...A lovely dish! I served it with Salad Shirazi and topped it with a nice dollop of plain yogurt...YUM YUM!!
- 500 g basmati rice or 500 g long-grain rice
- 400 g ground lamb or 400 g beef
- 4 medium onions
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- cooking oil
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the sliced onions in oil until slightly golden.
- Add ground lamb or beef, salt, and black pepper and fry until color changes.
- Dissolve tomato paste in a glass of hot water and add to meat.
- Cook for a few minutes until little water is left.
- Wash rice twice and soak in salted warm water for 3-4 hours, then drain the water.
- Pour water in a large non-stick pan until it is half-full and bring it to a boil. Add rice and a spoonful of salt and continue boiling until rice slightly softens. Pour rice into a drain and wash it with slightly warm water.
- Mix the rice with the meat, and continue simmering for another 10-20 minutes.