This is a typical Iranian recipe using fruit with a meat or chicken. The saffron gives it a golden color and the scent while it is cooking is wonderful. It is not "spicy hot" but it is "spicy flavorful". There is a special way to cook Iranian rice but I have simplified this recipe using plain cooked rice - I prefer Basmati Rice I made this recipe using skinless boneless breasts - they turned out too dry I recommend that you use the whole chicken, skin on for this recipe
- Season the chicken pieces with salt & pepper.
- Using half the Ghee/butter brown the chicken, set aside.
- Fry the onion until transparent in the remaining butter/ghee, add apricots & raisins cook 5 miniutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon then add the 1/4 cup water to lift the browned sediment.
- Place half the cooked rice in an oven proof dish placing the chicken on top.
- Spread the apricot mixture over the chicken and top with remaining rice.
- Cover the dish tightly and bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked & tender.
- While the chicken is cooking mix the saffron with 2 tbsp boiling water, leave to steep.
- Just before serving sprinkle saffron liquid over the top of the casserole , stir gently mixing the chicken, rice & saffron.
- Serve heaped on a platter.