1/4 Photos of Iranian Chicken With Rice (Morgh Polou)
1 hr 20 mins
This is a typical Iranian recipe using fruit with a meat or chicken. The saffron gives it a golden color and the scent while it is cooking is wonderful. It is not "spicy hot" but it is "spicy flavorful". There is a special way to cook Iranian rice but I have simplified this recipe using plain cooked rice - I prefer Basmati Rice I made this recipe using skinless boneless breasts - they turned out too dry I recommend that you use the whole chicken, skin on for this recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season the chicken pieces with salt & pepper.
- 2Using half the Ghee/butter brown the chicken, set aside.
- 3Fry the onion until transparent in the remaining butter/ghee, add apricots & raisins cook 5 miniutes.
- 4Stir in the cinnamon then add the 1/4 cup water to lift the browned sediment.
- 5Place half the cooked rice in an oven proof dish placing the chicken on top.
- 6Spread the apricot mixture over the chicken and top with remaining rice.
- 7Cover the dish tightly and bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked & tender.
- 8While the chicken is cooking mix the saffron with 2 tbsp boiling water, leave to steep.
- 9Just before serving sprinkle saffron liquid over the top of the casserole , stir gently mixing the chicken, rice & saffron.
- 10Serve heaped on a platter.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iranian Chicken With Rice (Morgh Polou)
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1185.0
- Calories from Fat 570
- Total Fat 63.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.1 g
- Cholesterol 285.8 mg
- Sodium 345.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 69.4 g