Recipe by winkki
Found online at an Iranian student website and posted per a recipe request.
Top Review by Lisa Lisa Ann
Pretty tasty, just a bit bland for me. My husband loved it. I used parsley instead of the mint and did not fry the onions first. I'm in agreement that frying them first would probably be a good idea to add more taste. It made A LOT of a very healthy and filling dish :-)
- 1 cup dried barley
- 1⁄2 cup dry green lentils or 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon dried mint or 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put everything into a pot and then bring to a gentle boil.
- Simmer for 1 1/4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Variations: Fry the onions in the oil before putting them in the pot.
- Add 1 cup of cooked chick peas or red kidney beans a few min before serving.