Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is simple and very good.
Make and share this Iowa Stuffed Pork Chops with Sweet Apple Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- Cut 2 inch pockets into chops from bone side so dressing stays in.
- In bowl combine apples,bread,sugar,cinnamon and salt.
- Mix well.
- Stuff into pockets of pork chops.
- Place chops in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour Melted butter or marg.
- over chops and bake at 350.
- When chops have browned,add 1 cup of water and cover with foil.
- Bake for 2 hours.
I'll make these again, but I'll definitely change things. It would even be nice enough for company -- with some changes. I liked the sound of this recipe, but my husband and I agreed that while the filling was deliciously sweet, the pork was bland and needed something like a sauce. I did change things. I used a pork loin roast and filled it jelly-roll style with this apple filling, but I'm sure it would have been the same with pork chops. I did pour about 2 tsp. each of nutmeg and cinnamon on the pork loin before adding the filling. With the leftovers I'm planning on making a sauce of 1/4 of the apple filling combined with melted (30 sec. in microwave) apple jelly. Next time I make this recipe I will not use the bread in the filling as that was just mush and I'll leave out the salt as it didn't help the flavors.
I made this for my grandchildren who liked them very much! I used boneless chops and was able to stand them open-side-up in my baking dish.