Recipe by Charlotte J
This was the winning entry at the 2010 Iowa State Fair for the Tone's Spices Best Cinnamon Roll Contest - Overall Winner - 2010 Iowa State Fair Recipe created by Janice Nostrom of Humboldt . Janice, I can't wait to try this as my rolls are so bad I don't even try to make them any more. I have high hopes with this recipe from Janice. Thank you!! Rise Time: about 2-1/2 hours
Top Review by _Amanda_
These are absolutely THE BEST cinnamon rolls I've ever made!!! I have been searching for this perfect recipe for years! I used real butter and real vanilla (I make my own) and I included some allspice and cloves in my cinnamon mixture.
Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1⁄4 ounce Fleischmann's active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon imitation vanilla, clear flavor (Tone's brand)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 -5 3⁄4 cups bread flour
Caramel Pecan Mixture
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Karo light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons tone's ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- For Rolls:
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, in a large mixing bowl; let rest 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add dry milk, butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and egg; mix well. Gradually add in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- While dough is rising, make Caramel Pecan Mixture:
- Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and cream in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour an equal amount of hot syrup into two 8 x 8-inch greased pans.
- Sprinkle toasted pecans on top of syrup.
- Set aside.
- Punch dough down.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin to a 16 x 12-inch rectangle.
- To apply Cinnamon Filling, spread 1/4 cup butter over surface.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over dough.
- Roll up jellyroll style.
- Slice into 8 rolls.
- Place 4 rolls, cut side down, in each of the 2 pans, on top of Caramel Pecan Mixture.
- Cover and let rolls rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Invert rolls on to serving plate or parchment paper.
- *To toast pecans, spread on a shallow baking sheet and bake in 350ºF oven for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring once.
- Remove from oven.