1 hr 20 mins
Charlotte J's Note:
This was the winning entry at the 2010 Iowa State Fair for the Tone's Spices Best Cinnamon Roll Contest - Overall Winner - 2010 Iowa State Fair Recipe created by Janice Nostrom of Humboldt . Janice, I can't wait to try this as my rolls are so bad I don't even try to make them any more. I have high hopes with this recipe from Janice. Thank you!! Rise Time: about 2-1/2 hours
My Private Note
large r ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (100 to 110 degrees F)
- 1/4 ounce Fleischmann's active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon imitation vanilla, clear flavor (Tone's brand)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 -5 3/4 cups bread flour
Caramel Pecan Mixture
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Karo light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 -1 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
- 1For Rolls:
- 2Dissolve yeast in warm water, in a large mixing bowl; let rest 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3Add dry milk, butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and egg; mix well. Gradually add in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- 4Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat.
- 6Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- 7While dough is rising, make Caramel Pecan Mixture:
- 8Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and cream in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 9Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 10Remove from heat and pour an equal amount of hot syrup into two 8 x 8-inch greased pans.
- 11Sprinkle toasted pecans on top of syrup.
- 12Set aside.
- 13Punch dough down.
- 14Roll out onto a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin to a 16 x 12-inch rectangle.
- 15To apply Cinnamon Filling, spread 1/4 cup butter over surface.
- 16Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over dough.
- 17Roll up jellyroll style.
- 18Slice into 8 rolls.
- 19Place 4 rolls, cut side down, in each of the 2 pans, on top of Caramel Pecan Mixture.
- 20Cover and let rolls rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 21Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- 22Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- 23Invert rolls on to serving plate or parchment paper.
- 24*To toast pecans, spread on a shallow baking sheet and bake in 350ºF oven for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring once.
- 25Remove from oven.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for (Iowa State Fair) Sweet Dough Caramel Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (2019 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 907.0
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 115.5 mg
- Sodium 546.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 12.2 g