1/3 Photos of Iowa State Fair Corn Dogs from Gourmet Magazine
Who doesn't like corn dogs? I bet not many. This recipe is from the Gourmet web exclusive and these are very yummy! The original recipe calls for grilling the hot dogs first to bring out the smokier taste to the corn dogs and they do, but if you are in a hurry like many of us, you can go from opening the package of hot dogs to this recipe and the results will still be great. This recipe calls for 8 hot dogs, but I find that there is usually about 1/3 of the batter leftover every time. Not a problem, you can use the leftover batter to fry up anything else such as asparagus, green beans, onions, etc after making corn dogs. They will taste wonderful. The direction calls for a tall glass. The tall glass will hold the batter and you dunk the hot dogs in the glass which makes it much more convenient than rolling hot dogs around in a bowl with a batter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Insert a wooden stick into each hot dogs. Put 3 T flour on a plate and roll hot dogs in flour to coat, shaking off excess.
- 2Heat 3 inches oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot over medium high heat.
- 3Whisk together cornmeal, 1/2 C flour, 2 T oil, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, cayenne, and salt in a medium bowl. Add eggs 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition. Whisk in buttermilk.
- 4Transfer some of batter to a tall glass, filling it almost to the top.
- 5Working in batches of 2 or 3, dip hot dogs 1 at a time into glass of batter to coat. Add more batter to glass if necessary. Fry, turning occasionally until golden brown all over, about 2-3 minutes.
- 6Transfer corn dogs to paper towels to drain. Repeat until all hot dogs are done.
- 7You may have leftover batter, use the batter to dip veggies such as asparagus, green beans, onions and fry for 1-2 minutes until batter is used up. Or you can open another package of hotdogs and fry 4-5 more.
Browse Our Top < 15 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iowa State Fair Corn Dogs from Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size: 1 (1078 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.7
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 943.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 10.8 g