Recipe by DuChick
This recipe took 1st place in the Iowa State University cafeteria contest. It was posted in the Des Moines Register in May 1991. It's a bit different using cornflake crumbs. Note: You may need to adjust baking times accordingly if using boneless pieces of chicken. ISU's baking time may be too long!
Top Review by CoffeeB
Oh My, this is such a keeper Kathy. Loved the italian taste this you get from this chicken recipe. Followed your recipe exact, but because my oven runs hot, only needed to bake for 1 hour. Served with mashed potatoes. Wonderful crispy/crunchy breading that's so tasty. Just wish I could give more stars!! I am so glad I tagged this for 123HitWonders. A definite keeper in my chicken cook-book here on Zaar. ~
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- garlic powder, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 lbs skinless chicken
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomato sauce, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in saucepan; cover and simmer, set aside.
- Combine corn flake crumbs, parmesan cheese and parsley flakes; mix well.
- Dip chicken in beaten egg and then roll in crumb mixture. Place in 9 x 13 baking dish sprayed with non-stick coating.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375* for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour seasoned tomato sauce mixture over chicken. Sprinkle mozzarella over top and return dish to oven for 10-15 minutes or until sauce is hot and cheese melts.