1/1 Photo of Iowa Ham and Corn Chowder
Ham and corn are staples here in Iowa. This lovely chowder knows how to combine both for a hearty, comforting meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1Combine onion, water, 1/2 cup chicken broth and potatoes in a large saucepan.
- 2Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- 3Use a spoon or masher to crush potatoes.
- 4Combine margarine and flour; stir into potato mixture.
- 5Blend in remaining broth, stirring until thickened.
- 6Stir in corn, milk, ham and pepper.
- 7Cook on low heat until chowder is hot.
- 8Top individual servings with desired garnishes.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iowa Ham and Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 316.0
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 832.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 8.3 g