Recipe by DuChick
Ham and corn are staples here in Iowa. This lovely chowder knows how to combine both for a hearty, comforting meal.
Top Review by Bev
With a few additions, this very simple to throw together Ham & Corn Chowder is exceptional! To the ingredients listed I added 1 can of corn niblets, about 5 slices of Swiss Cheese, some fresh chopped chives and some salt. I did not have the crumbled cooked bacon, but the addition would have been another winner. I am so glad you shared this recipe with us, DuChick! Thank you : ) This recipe is so simple, I am sure to use it whenever I have leftover ham.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups frozen southern style hash brown potatoes
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup ham, diced
- crumbled bacon or cayenne pepper or paprika or parsley or green onions or chives or shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine onion, water, 1/2 cup chicken broth and potatoes in a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Use a spoon or masher to crush potatoes.
- Combine margarine and flour; stir into potato mixture.
- Blend in remaining broth, stirring until thickened.
- Stir in corn, milk, ham and pepper.
- Cook on low heat until chowder is hot.
- Top individual servings with desired garnishes.