Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Make and share this Iowa Fried Venison Heart recipe from Food.com.
- 1 venison heart
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Split heart in half.
- Remove all vents and ducts.
- Mix onion, mustard, pickling spice, salt, wine vinegar, and wine in large glass bowl.
- Soak heart in marinade overnight.
- Dredge pieces in flour and fry in butter over high heat.
- When both sides are browned reduce heat and continue to cook 5 to 10 minutes longer.
Let me start out by saying I have never had heart before, so I have no bench mark to go from. I found the recipe very quick and easy to make. The heart turned out tender. It had a very slight sour flavor, I believe that came from the vinegar, that I did not really care for. I will admit the more I ate it did grow on me.