Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
For Chocolate Lovers only. Moist, rich and decadent. Add the walnut only if you desire. So easy to prepare! From Gourmet Magazine.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (fine quality, no more than 60% cacao)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with rack in center position.
- Butter and flour 13" x 9" pan.
- In 3 qt heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- Whisk in sugar and vanilla into chocolate/butter combination.
- Whisk in eggs, one at a time until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In separate bowl combine Dutch process chocolate powder, flour and salt.
- Combine flour mixture with chocolate/butter and whisk thoroughly.
- Add chopped walnuts if using.
- Spread brownie batter in pan and bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Cool completely.
OH, baby. Made these exactly as the recipe stated and they are fabulous. Fudgy and intensely chocolate, and nice and crunchy outside. FYI to those who didn't make the recipe as stated, why get on here and talk about it?
These are the best brownies I've ever made and possibly ever have eaten. They are dark and very chocolately without being sweet. The texture is perfect - lush, moist and rich. These are not for someone who likes cake-like brownies but if you like your brownies fudgy without being soggy these are fantastic!
Wow, what a terrific brownie recipe Bev. These little gems are the bomb. So rich, decadent and full of flavor. I was in chocolate heaven for at least 15 minutes after I finished my first brownie. Then I had another and another. I'm going to have to hide them so that I don't eat them all myself. The brownies were wonderful, crisp on the outside and fudgy and perfect on the insde. Thanks for sharing a new family favorite.