Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from Fine Cooking
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, plus enough softened unsalted butter to grease the pan
- 3 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour, plus enough to line the pan
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large room temperature eggs (this seriously makes a difference)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- Position rack in center of oven and heat to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9" square pan, tapping out excess flour. [I decided to use cocoa powder instead of flour.].
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove pan from heat - whisk or stir in sugar, followed by all four eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Go slowly to keep the ingredients from flying out of the pan. Stir until smooth and uniform.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan, smoothing so it fills the pan evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick or skewer comes out clean (there will be a few clumps clinging to it) — this will take about 40 minutes.
- Let brownies cool completely in the pan on a rack.