Recipe by Daisy St. Patience
really quick, really easy. GREAT source of fiber and spicy to boot!
Top Review by PaulaG
I followed Heather'sKitchen and made this in the crockpot. The recipe was reduced to 4 servings and in place of the water, I used low-sodium chicken stock. This had a nice kick from the cayenne and red pepper flakes. If I were to make it again, I think I would try adding some Mexican oregano and cumin for additional flavor. *PAC September 2007*
- 7 cups water
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- mix 7 cups of water and black beans and set to boil on medium heat.
- sautee onions, garlic, cayenne, and crushed red pepper in olive oil until onions are soft.
- add onion mixture to the beans and water and stir. boil for 15 minutes.
- add chopped green bell pepper and lower heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- pour half of the mixture into a blender and puree.
- add to pot and reheat until ready to serve.
- Good with crackers, whole wheat toast, and pitas.