Prep 2 mins
Cook 20 mins
There are several recipes here using potatoes and mashing them for a similar dish but sometimes you don't have the time to make something that looks this good! Here is a quickie substitute for a taste good, looks good dish
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cooked bacon, pieces
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a saucepan, combine spinach, 1/4 cup of water and 1 tsp salt. Cook, covered 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain well.
- In a saucepan combine 1 1/3 cups water with milk and margarine with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Bring to boiling and remove from heat. Stir in potato flakes. Stir together cooked spinach, potato mixture and bacon pieces.
- Turn mixture into a 1 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place under broiler for 1-2 minutes or till cheese melts.
I pureed some of the spinach and mixed it into the potatoes, thinkin my kids' would appreciate the smooth texture. They were put off by the complete green color of the potatoes, but admitted they tasted like regular potatoes. My kids aren't even fans of regular mashed potatoes (which is difficult for me to believe!). For mine I folded the steamed spinach in (as the recipe states!) and thought it tasted better that way. This is a good way to "doctor" instant potatoes. Thanks Tish! Roxygirl
I made this last night. It did look nice (what doesn't look good with melted cheese over it ;-), but it still tasted like instant mashed potatoes. I guess I can only take instant when I've got lots of gravy to cover up the taste. I was hopeful about this recipe 'cause fast is always good (no peeling, boiling, mashing, etc.), and thought it'd be a great way to get my kids to eat frozen spinach (they only eat canned or raw), but my 7 year old tasted it, with a lot of coaxing, and said she didn't like it. My 18 month old ate about half of his, but he usually eats all of his mashed potatoes and spinach when given separately so I wouldn't say that's a good thing. My husband really liked it, which is why I'm giving it 3 stars. I may try the combination again, but with real mashed potatoes. I think the concept is good, the taste, not so much. Sorry!