Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Refried Beans (from dry beans) in 10 minutes! (prep time is to make mix)
Make and share this Instant Refried Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups dried beans
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- crushed red pepper flakes, to your liking
- In a coffee grinder, food mill, food processor or blender, grind beans until a flour consistency.
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- To prepare, in a medium-sized saucepan combine 3/4 cup bean flour mix with 2-1/2 cups boiling water.
- Mix with a whisk until combined.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Mixture will thicken as it cools.
I had so looked forward to this, but they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, and were a bit disappointing. The texture was more like Cream of Wheat and the spices and the cooking method took away from the flavor. They really weren't comparable to refried beans, which is probably why the traditional method still is in use over this one. I might use some of the bean flour in veggie burgers, it could be an interesting use there.
Sorry princess for some reason it didn't work for me either. Bu don't lose heart. I added and extra cup of beans and it was useable. It had a nice flavour. I will try it again with a few tweeks.
When grinding the beans leave them in a rough form, to get to that textured desired it will take a little longer to cook but well worth the extra minute or two. I agree to add the lard, oil, bacon fat.