Recipe by Gwanny Hill
This is one of the easiest and quickest potato salads you can make. Try it once as posted and next time add or substract items that you think would improve the dish. Do not add too much water to the mixture--add only enough to moisten the potatoes. I can almost guarantee that anyone eating this salad will not know it was made from instant potato flakes. NOTE: Do not use potato buds in recipe--they change the texture.
Top Review by Mrs. Moon
I was pleasantly surprised by this recipe. It was a hit around our house! I will be taking the ingredients up to our camper to make this salad for all the impromptu gatherings. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 cups instant potato flakes
- hot water
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle cubes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 -6 stalks chopped celery (I sometimes add 1 can chopped water chestnuts in place of celery, for the crunch) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup chopped olive
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix potato flakes, mustard, salt, pickles and celery salt.
- Add enough hot water to mixture--about two cups--to mix the ingredients.
- Mixture should be fairly stiff.
- Cover and let stand about five minutes.
- Add eggs, garlic powder, celery (if using), dill weed, onion, mayonnaise and chopped olives.
- Mix well and chill three or more hours.
- Keep unused portion in refrigerator; will stay fresh up to a week if covered and chilled.
- NOTE: Cooking time refers primarily to chilling time.