Recipe by SmHerndon
A quick and easy version of a robust Italian winter dish. It's versatile - use these "dumplings" as a pasta or a foundation for the entree (maybe my Smothered Mushroom Chicken? #113125). This recipe doubles or triples and works well with a simple tomato sauce, butter and sage, or with butter or good olive oil add a grind of black pepper and some Parmesan cheese. For my Smothered Mushroom Chicken recipe, this should be tripled.
Top Review by Chef Tweaker
Great way to use up dried potatoes! I was able to use just over 1 cup of flour and they seemed to be the right texture. One hint: they will grow a little in cooking so you should cut them a little smaller than you are going for. I had this with tomato pasta sauce but they really lend themselves toward a cream based sauce. I'm not wanting that many calories though!
- 2⁄3 cup dry potato buds for instant mashed potatoes
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, room temperature,lightly beaten with a fork
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- PUT the potato flakes or buds in a medium-size bowl and add the boiling water; stir until blended then let cool.
- FOLD in the egg and salt with a wooden or plastic spoon or spatula.
- ADD flour slowly, folding with the spatula, until you have a fairly firm dough that doesn't stick to the bowl.
- TURN dough out onto a well floured surface and knead lightly into a ball.
- You want just be able to work with the mixture without it sticking unduly- but too much flour will result in gnocchi that are more lead than light.
- CUT dough in half and ROLL each half into a long cylinder about the thickness of your thumb.
- Cut into bite-size pieces.
- You can dust lightly with flour or semolina and set aside for a few hours.
- TO COOK- put 6 to 8 gnocchi in a few quarts of boiling, salted water (too many at once interferes in the cooking process).
- As the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot, remove them with a slotted spoon and put them in a sieve over a plate to drain further until you are ready to serve.
- Repeat until all are cooked.