Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is in two parts: a mix that you can make ahead of time, and the stuff you need to mix together right before you make the pancakes. From Alton Brown's Good Eats
Mix use 2 cups
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt (preferably kosher)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup butter, for greasing the pan
- 2 cups fresh fruit (optional)
- Combine all ingredients and mix by shaking.
- Store up to three months.
- Preheat griddle or frying pan to 350°F Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Whisk together egg whites and buttermilk.
- Separately, whisk together egg yolks and melted butter.
- Add egg white mixture to egg yolk mixture and whisk together until combined.
- Add liquid mixture to"Instant" mix and whisk until just barely combined; lumps are okay.
- If griddle is ready (small drops of water dance across the surface), butter it and wipe off any excess butter.
- Ladle the batter into the griddle.
- Sprinkle fruit on pancakes if desired.
- Flip pancakes when bubbles begin to set at the edges and their undersides are golden-brown.
- Cook other side for 2-3 minutes or until pancake is set.
- If not eating immediately, keep warm.