Recipe by Trish in SC
***DO NOT TRY TIL AFTER I REMOVE THIS NOTE. I NEED TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS. THANKS!!!*** This is for a batch of packets and has been synthesized from similar recipes on this site and adjusted for my personal tastes. I don't like most store-bought ones 1) because of all their additives and 2) their expense, especially the healthier ones, thus I've decided to create my own. Posting it here helps me keep track of it as well as check out its nutritional values.
- 2 cups quick oats (or rolled, etc)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran (or other preferred bran)
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- 1) Stir all ingredients together until well mixed.
- 2) Scoop into baggies by 1/4 cupful (or store in bulk in airtight container).
- 3) Microwave the 1/4 cup mix plus 1/2 cup water for 1-2 minutes. Keep an eye on it til you see how it behaves in your microwave. Dilute further with water or milk as desired (or reduce initial amount, if too watery).
- 4) Variations include adding fruits (dried or fresh), nuts, chocolate chips, yogurt on top, peanut butter, alternative sweeteners, jelly, or most anything you can imagine!