Custom make your own instant oatmeal packets for a fraction of the cost from the box at the store.
Make and share this Instant Oatmeal Ala Home - Homemade recipe from Food.com.
- Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and blend on high until powdery.
- Set aside in a small bowl, and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats.
- If you're using a food processor, you can do the 1 cup of oats in one batch.
- Put the following ingredients into each small-size zip baggie: 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 tablespoons powdered oats, and 1/8 teaspoons salt.
- *Optional:add to each packet additional flavors.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To serve: Empty packet into a bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup boiling water.
- Stir and let stand for 2 minutes.
- For thicker oatmeal, use less water – for thinner oatmeal, use more water.
- Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal-.
- 1 tablespoons sugar.
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons chopped dried apples.
- Sweetened Oatmeal-.
- 1 tablespoons sugar or 1 packet'Equal' artificial.
- Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Oatmeal-.
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Oatmeal w/Raisins& Brown Sugar-.
- 1 tablespoons packed brown sugar 1 tablespoons raisins.
- Health Nut Oatmeal-.
- 2 tablespoons any kind of wheat germ.
- Fruit& Cream Oatmeal.
- 1 tablespoons non-dairy coffee creamer 2 tablespoons dried fruit.
Great possibilities here for many versions. I made up one batch, put in some add ins and put it in little bags for my husband in the am, just like what he was buying, but much cheaper. Quick, easy and healthy.
This recipe rocks. Love the many variations and flavors. Great whole grain way to start the day.
I love this recipe! I only buy quick-cooking accidentally, so for the 2 cups of oats that don't get pulverized into powder, I sometimes grind the remaining oats down to smaller pieces that look like quick-cooking oats. If I eat this as instant oatmeal, it helps to grind the whole oats. However, if I'm making an instant oatmeal cookie [recipe 170423], it doesn't matter if I don't grind the oats. To get the right proportions for optional flavorings, I refer to recipe 186736. What else can I say? It works, I can adjust salt, sugar, and add-ins, I can use less-processed oats (not quick-cooking) but still get instant oatmeal ... what's not to love? (OK, I love oatmeal. If you don't, I'm sure this doesn't improve it much.)