Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Oh my gosh, this is the cheapest, quickest and tastiest main dish ever. We have this at least once a week. I like to brown my ham in butter before adding to casserole. It just makes the ham a little crisp. You will not be disappointed.
- Combine water, salt, butter, garlic powder and parsley flakes and heat to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cold milk.
- Stir instant potato flakes gently and stir until smooth.
- Pour instant potatoes into well greased casserole dish.
- Top potatoes with Virginia Baked Deli Ham (I like to brown my ham in butter in a skillet before adding to casserole; just makes ham crisp. I only do this if I have time. Just as good without browning the ham -- ).
- Top Ham with shredded cheese.
- Broil 4-6 inches from heat for 60 seconds or until golden brown.
We really liked the flavor of this! I used smoked ham lunch meat, and since I misunderstood the directions, I ended up frying the ham in 5 tsp of butter as well as putting 5 tsp in the mashed potatoes. We had a very fattening version! It took awhile to get all the water out of the ham enough to crisp it up, but it was worth it. It almost tasted like bacon, so my son loved that part best. I noticed the directions call for garlic powder, but it isn't in the ingredient list. I put in about 1/4 tsp garlic powder in addition to the other ingredients, and it was the right amount of flavor. I think I would bake it instead of broiling since that left the cheddar looking hard and dried out.
This was really good. I didn't use deli ham, I used leftover ham, and fried it. DH LOVED it! My picky kids ate it. This is a great meal when you have leftovers to use up. Thanks!
My Husband gave this 4 stars, which is great, because he always views new recipes somewhat suspiciously! I stirred the grated Parmesan right into the potatoes. Very good!