Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Good Eats TV show http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/instant-chocolate-pudding-mix-recipe/index.html
- pudding, dry mix
- 3 ounces Dutch-processed cocoa powder, approximately 1 cup
- 2 ounces cornstarch, approximately 1/2 cup
- 6 ounces confectioners' sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1⁄2 ounces non-fat powdered milk, approximately 1/2 cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dry Mix.
- In a large bowl or plastic container with a lid, combine the cocoa, cornstarch, sugar, instant non-fat dry milk, and salt.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Place 1 3/4 cups of dry pudding mix into a medium saucepan. Add milk and heavy cream and whisk to combine.
- Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil, continuously whisking gently. Reduce heat to low and cook for 4 minutes while continuing to whisk. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve and into individual dishes or a 1 1/2-quart serving dish. Cover the surface of the pudding with plastic wrap.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill completely before serving, approximately 4 hours.
Chocolate lovers alert-intense chocolate-creamy. I had thought about skipping the sieve step but did not skip so mine was lump free. Timing is right on. I appreciate recipes like this where I have the ingredients on hand plus a dessert that can be reduced for two people. When preparing the pudding, I allowed a half cup liquid per serving. The top layer%u2019s color looked a bit different than the underneath part-tasted fine but looked a tad different so did some reading up on why so next time I would cool pudding to lukewarm temperature before saran wrapping and putting in fridge. Made for my PAC 2011 Fall baby.
First off I gotta say ~ Pay no attention to the Nutritional Facts box, because the way the recipe is written (to include the pudding mix AS WELL AS using half of that mix to make pudding for at least 4 servings), those 'facts' are thrown way off! OK, now on to the recipe itself ~ Definitely a winner for the making of a very flavorful & satisfying pudding that would leave a silly smile on the face of any chocoholic! Now I look forward to using it whenever I make one of the several recipes I have that call for chocolate pudding! Thanks for this great keeper! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]