Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
The hardest thing about this is waiting for it to freeze, this also works using other fruit such a blueberries, peaches etc but the fruit must be frozen when added to the blender, thaw just slightly and enough to chop the whole berries, cooking time is freezer time, use sweetened berries for this --- this may also be done in a food process with good results
- 24 ounces frozen sweetened strawberries (do not thaw completely just enough to chop)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (more for a sweeter taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream (35%)
- red food coloring (optional)
- Chop the frozen strawberries then place in a blender.
- In a bowl whisk the sugar into the cream; with the blender going, slowly add in the cream/sugar mixture through the opening in the lid, stopping to stir the mixture 3-4 times.
- Blend until smooth but still with small bits of strawberries. in the mixture (the cream will thicken slightly).
- Transfer to a shallow pan and freeze until firm (about 2-3 hours).
This won 3rd prize in a homemade ice cream contest. My kids were very excited to make homemade strawberry ice cream, and I was very excited I didn't have to purchase an ice cream maker! I did use a hand-mixer to beat the ice cream after 30 minutes and after 60 minutes of freezing. I don't know if it was necessary or not. I read that it keeps ice crystals from forming. This tasted great! My husband said it tasted like a frozen strawberry milkshake. I did use more strawberries than called for and I added an extra 1/4 cup of sugar since I wasn't using sweetened strawberries.
I wish I could give this more than 5 stars! This is amazingly good! I tried this with another recipe once, but for some reason it didn't work like this. I love the fact that it can be made in the blender, and that you don't need an ice cream freezer, which I don't have. I was so happy with this recipe that I bought some frozen peaches, and got the same results. It's a really great recipe, Kitten, and this will be a keeper! I can't wait to try other frozen fruits! Thanks so much for sharing! Made for Strawberry event at KK's site!
So fresh tasting and delicious. Super easy too. Then (inspired by a picture in a food magazine) I made a second batch for mini ice cream sandwiches using vanilla wafer cookies. Great that way too.