This recipe originates from Gourmet & is really something special. I serve this every year for Rosh Hashana as an appetiser along with my challahs as pomegranate seeds are symbolically very significant. Very different from what you may be used to but oh so delicious!(prep time includes 1 hour in frig.)
- 1⁄3 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 3 -4 serrano chilies, including seeds, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 lbs ripe avocados (reserve 1 avocado pit)
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup peeled pear, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup halved seedless grapes
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Mash onion, chiles& salt to a rough paste.
- Gradually add pulp from the avocadoes, coarsly mashing it.
- You want it to be chunky.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Fold in pear& grapes& then 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour placing avocado pit in the middle of the mixture so it retains its color.
- Remove pit.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup more seeds over the guacamole& serve.