Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe originates from Gourmet & is really something special. I serve this every year for Rosh Hashana as an appetiser along with my challahs as pomegranate seeds are symbolically very significant. Very different from what you may be used to but oh so delicious!(prep time includes 1 hour in frig.)
- 1⁄3 cup white onion, finely chopped
- 3 -4 serrano chilies, including seeds, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 lbs ripe avocados (reserve 1 avocado pit)
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup peeled pear, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup halved seedless grapes
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Mash onion, chiles& salt to a rough paste.
- Gradually add pulp from the avocadoes, coarsly mashing it.
- You want it to be chunky.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Fold in pear& grapes& then 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour placing avocado pit in the middle of the mixture so it retains its color.
- Remove pit.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup more seeds over the guacamole& serve.
This is delicious and looks colourful. I did use the red Tabasco sauce dribbled through out since I did not have serrano chilies. Wonderful spicy complement to the sweet pomegranate seeds. In fact I won't add grapes another time and it really doesn't need the pear either. I used sea salt for the salt. Served with rice crackers. I would make this again.
I was a bit hesitant with this recipe, but had a pomegranate that needed to be used. The pears, grapes and pomegranates are excellent compliments to the heat of the chilies. This is a wonderful dip that will be repeated in my house.
This was quite delicious. It was just the right quality of sweet and spicy. Thanks for sharing