Recipe by riffraff
I originally got this recipe over 25 years ago when I was in high school and joined Weight Watchers. I had lost it and looked every where for it. Looked in every Weight Watchers cookbook. I bought a tiny community cookbook at a garage sale for a quarter and there it was. This is filling and delicious. The vegetables can be canned, frozen or fresh.
Top Review by bratty
Very simple soup, that is very tasty as well. I skipped the gelatin, but otherwise made this exactly as written. Great blending of flavors, and I particularly liked the crunch from the water chestnuts. I'll make this one again for sure.
- 2 cups Chinese vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1 cup French style green bean
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup onion flakes or 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 beef, boullion cubes
- 1⁄2-1 ounce gelatin, softened in a bit of the water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ingredients (drain only the Chinese vegetables if using canned).
- Add dashes of celery salt, oregano, salt and pepper, thyme.
- Cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add more liquid if needed.
- You may substitute any vegetable, such as cabbage, zucchini, carrots, etc.
- Cooked, skinned chicken parts may also be used.