Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I originally got this recipe over 25 years ago when I was in high school and joined Weight Watchers. I had lost it and looked every where for it. Looked in every Weight Watchers cookbook. I bought a tiny community cookbook at a garage sale for a quarter and there it was. This is filling and delicious. The vegetables can be canned, frozen or fresh.
- 2 cups Chinese vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- 1 cup French style green bean
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup onion flakes or 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 beef, boullion cubes
- 1⁄2-1 ounce gelatin, softened in a bit of the water
- Combine ingredients (drain only the Chinese vegetables if using canned).
- Add dashes of celery salt, oregano, salt and pepper, thyme.
- Cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add more liquid if needed.
- You may substitute any vegetable, such as cabbage, zucchini, carrots, etc.
- Cooked, skinned chicken parts may also be used.
Very simple soup, that is very tasty as well. I skipped the gelatin, but otherwise made this exactly as written. Great blending of flavors, and I particularly liked the crunch from the water chestnuts. I'll make this one again for sure.