Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
It's Girl Scout cookie time! My Junior Girl Scouts developed 2 ideas for Girl Scout cookies. This is one of them. The concept is an inside out Oreo. Only better. ;) I used a Scottish shortbread cookie and a confectioners' sugar filling. Be sure to use very fresh butter for the best cookies.
- 20 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coffee
- Set racks in uper & lower thirds of oven & preheat to 325°F
- Cream butter & sugar on medium speed for 5 - 10 minutes until light, soft & fluffy.
- Fold in flour by hand.
- Place a handful of dough at a time on a lightly floured work surface. Use the floured palm of your hand to press out the dough until it is 1/2" thick - don't make the dough too thin. If the dough seems to be sticking, run a long, thin spatula underneath to loosen it. Do NOT use a lot of extra flour or your cookies will be dry & tough!
- Cut out the shortbreads with a 2" - 4" round cookie cutter, that has been dipped in flour. With a spatula or pancake turner, transfer cookies to a parchment lined cookie sheet. Space about 1 1/2" apart. Continue until all the dough has been used.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes until they are just a very pale golden color. Slide parchment onto cooling racks. When cool, remove cookies to an airtight container.
- Beat butter until soft & light, Gradually beat in sugar & cocoa powder. Beat in the vanilla & coffee and continue beating until the filling is VERY smooth. Use the filling immediately.
- Spread about 1 heaping TB filling between 2 shortbread cookies. Store in an airtight container.
Ive gained a new fondness for shortbread cookies so i wanted to try these out. I dont usually have luck with rolling cookies out so useing my hand for these was awesome lol. I did have a few problems with sticking, but nothing your directions couldnt fix. I used alittle less powdered sugar and used a tablespoon of peanut butter instead of coffee (blended it in with butter) These cookies disapeared pretty fast and i will definatly be making again. Made for Aussie swap.