Recipe by mailbelle
I normally shy away from recipes with more than 5-6 ingredients or steps, but this one is an exception. Instead of the normal sweet potato casserole, try making these instead (for the kids of course - oh what the heck, adults love these too!). Marshmallows encased in mashed sweet potatoes, rolled in cornflake crumbs and then fried. What a guilty pleasure! They can also be baked, but use a baking mat or parchment if baking them. From "Screen Doors and Sweet Tea - Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook" by Martha Hall Foose.
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 large egg
- 6 sweet potatoes, baked and mashed (see note below)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (can also use bourbon or sherry)
- 8 large marshmallows
- canola oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cornflake crumbs in a shallow dish or pie pan. Beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the mashed sweet potatoes with the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, flour, orange juice and vanilla. Working with your hands, use the mixture to encase each marshmallow, forming a ball. (If the sweet potato mixture seems too soft to hold its shape, stir in some of the crumbs to thicken it.) Dip each ball in the egg wash and then roll in the crumbs. Refrigerate while preparing to fry.
- Preheat the oven to 200°. Set a wire rack over newspaper or paper towels to drain the balls after frying.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat to 375°.
- Fry the balls one or two at a time for 3 to 4 minutes, turning as needed, until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and place the drained balls on the prepared rack and in the oven to keep warm while frying the remaining batches. Serve warm.
- ***NOTE: To make mashed sweet potatoes, preheat the oven to 375°. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Allow to cool in their jackets. When cool enough to handle, halve them, scoop out the flesh, and mash it with a fork or potato masher.