Recipe by byZula
This is a really great and easy recipe. My kids love it; and of course they don't like veggies! I received this through a recipe swap from a woman named Jeannie Lofland. I add fresh garlic to the beef and sprinkle seasoning between layers. I also like to use different cheeses; cheddar can be so oily. Try putting a bit of cheese on top of the beef before adding the other ingredients.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper, diced into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, brown beef and drain.
- Transfer to a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Add the next eight ingredients right on top of the beef.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until rice is tender.
- Uncover and sprinkle with the cheese; return to the oven until cheese melts; about 5 minutes.
- If the rice doesn't cook all the way; which sometimes happens, just cover with a bit more hot or boiling water and bake a little longer.
- So the dish doesn't get washed out by the water; put some beef oxo cubes or just use beef broth to add more flavor.