Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
This is a really great and easy recipe. My kids love it; and of course they don't like veggies! I received this through a recipe swap from a woman named Jeannie Lofland. I add fresh garlic to the beef and sprinkle seasoning between layers. I also like to use different cheeses; cheddar can be so oily. Try putting a bit of cheese on top of the beef before adding the other ingredients.
- In a skillet, brown beef and drain.
- Transfer to a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Add the next eight ingredients right on top of the beef.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until rice is tender.
- Uncover and sprinkle with the cheese; return to the oven until cheese melts; about 5 minutes.
- If the rice doesn't cook all the way; which sometimes happens, just cover with a bit more hot or boiling water and bake a little longer.
- So the dish doesn't get washed out by the water; put some beef oxo cubes or just use beef broth to add more flavor.
This tasted delicious. My only problem was the rice wasn't cooked all the way. Next time, I'll put it in the bottom of the dish. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag 2010.
Based on the other reviews, I used 1 cup of beef bouillon instead of 1/2 cup of water. I also mixed the ingredients together (except the cheese) rather than layering them. It worked perfectly to create a quick, tasty dinner.
We loved this recipe!! I did end up having to add an extra 1/2 cup of water. Next time I might layer meat, rice and then the rest of the ingredients, just to keep the rice down near the bottom of the pan where the liquid is. Excellent recipe!! A definate keeper!! A+!!!