Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thiw recipe is from "The Mississippi Cookbook." Recipe submitted by Mrs. Robert Carter of Clarksdale, MS.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (16 ounce) can pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) package shell pasta or 1 (7 ounce) packageelbow macaroni noodles, cooked
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- Brown first three ingredients in the 1 tablespoon salad oil.
- Cook spinach according to package directions.
- Drain, reserving liquid; add water to make 1 cup.
- Stir spinach liquid and next 5 ingredients into meat mixture.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Combine spinach with remaining ingredients.
- Spread in a greased 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- Top with meat sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is great! I got this exact same recipe when I has in Home-ec in high school. It's been a favorite of mine since. You can't taste the spinach at all- my husband loves this and he doesn't eat anything thats good for him!