Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This is an Oops! recipe. I forgot the half of the sugar in a cake and this is what resulted. It is moist,delicious after cooling or refrigerated. Will keep for a long time.(if you have to take to a pot luck, otherwise it will be gobbled up)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (Note ( use 1 cup vegetable oil, delete the applesauce)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried lemon rind or 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 2 cups powdered confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 ounces lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- Pam cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Use a large glass measuring cup 1 quart capacity if you wish. Saves on the mess.
- Add eggs to the large measuring cup, whisk, add milk, vegetable oil and applesauce or the alternate ingredient of 1 cup vegetable oil. Do not add the applesauce if you do.
- Add the lemon extract dried lemon rind and 1/2 cup sugar. Whisk in the measuring cup.
- In a medium mixing bowl add flour, sugar and mix.
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Slowly add the liquids and stir in until mixed.
- Spray Pam in (3)round baking pans, 8 X 10 glass baking pan or 9 X 13 baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes in round pans, 40 minutes in 8x10 glass pan or 45 minutes in
- 9x13 pan.
- Cool the cakes about 15 minutes.
- Make glaze. Put in a plastic sack and cut a hole in one corner and squeeze and drizzle.
- Or use a spatula and coat each layer.
- Note: You may drizzle or spread the glaze after the syrup is poured if you wish.
- Take a fork and poke hole the length of the tines of the fork about two inches apart.
- Boil the water in microwave, add the dry Jello and stir until dissolved.
- Pour slowly over the cake layer(s).
- Add glaze.
- May be refrigerated until serving.