Recipe by Sharon123
Cool appetizers! Recipe courtesy of Chef Todd Downs via the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
Red Onion Jam
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut in very thin match-sized strips
- 1⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup grenadine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 slices whole grain bread, such as sunflower seed, 2 x 2-inch square and 1/8 inch thick, crusts removed
- melted butter (about 1/3 cup)
- 24 slices queso blanco or 24 slices queso blanco con frutas cheese, 2 x 2-inch square and 1/4 inch thick
Directions See How It's Made
- Red Onion Jam:.
- Sauté red onion in the oil, cooking slowly until wilted, about 20 minutes. Do not brown. Add remaining jam ingredients. Cook for about 20 minutes, until thickened.
- Brush the bread slices on both sides with melted butter. Toast until golden brown.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly grill the cheese squares until golden brown on both sides.
- Place 12 of the cheese squares on a cutting board. Top each with a teaspoon of Red Onion Jam and then a slice of the toasted bread. Top bread with another teaspoon of Red Onion Jam. Top each sandwich with a slice of the remaining Queso Blanco cheese. Press sandwich together.
- If preparing ahead, warm sandwiches in a 350 degree F oven just before serving.