Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
From a 1999 issue of Southern Living Magazine
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 6 onions, slices 1/2-inch thick
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 6 hamburger buns
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; shape into 12 patties. Set aside.
- Saute onion in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray 10 minutes or until tender. Top 6 patties with onion, cheese, and relish; cover with remaining 6 patties, pressing edges together to seal. Cook patties on grill or skillet around 6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Serve in buns with desired toppings.
We loved this recipe, I really wanted to do something different and this was perfect! I had my brother and his girlfriend over and they were both impressed. You could really get creative with this recipe too and add different stuff to the insides like mushrooms or bacon. I have to say though, I only used about half of the recommended onions. I just thought that what was suggested would be way too much. Thanks for this great recipe!
Great burgers! Everyone should give this recipe a try. The flavors go so well together. Forming the burgers without overstuffing was a bit tricky for me, but I eventually got the hang of it! Made these several times, always a hit! Thanks for posting a great recipe.
Very good recipe. Easy to fix and family enjoyed it.