Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Brussels sprouts tucked inside of meatballs in tomato sauce. You will like these even if you don't like Brussels sprouts.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten or 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen Brussels sprouts
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients and mix well.
- Shape a scant 1/4 cupful around each frozen Brussels sprout to form a meatball. Place in an ungreased 9x11 baking dish.
- Combine tomato sauce, water and Italian seasoning; pour over meatballs.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve over rice or with crusty bread.
I have come to the conclusion that ground turkey does not make a good meatball. I used garlic powder, minced onions and my homemade spaghetti sauce (which has more seasonings than the recipe's sauce.) It made 20 meatballs, but the sauce got really watery after cooking with the meatballs. This might have turned out better had I used ground beef, or if it was with a BBQ style sauce to give it more flavor.