Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A yummy topping of BL to put on a T. Bacon and lettuce combined with some cheese and breadcrumbs make a plum tomato a yummy side dish! A recipe I found in Better Homes & Gardens. Magazine says this is 98 calories per serving with 8 grams of fat. You could reduce that by using turkey bacon and low fat mayo.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄3 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs, soft and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium plum tomatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons light mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 400°F In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Chop.
- In medium bowl, combine the bacon, lettuce, crumbs, cheese and olive oil, mix well.
- Halve the plumb tomatoes lengthwise. Scoop out the inside leaving pulp and shell. Sprinkle the inside of each with black pepper.
- Brush with some mayo and mound the bacon mixture in the tomatoes. Transfer to a baking pan.
- Roast the tomatoes, uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes. Serves 2.
My sister-in-law Jean made these over the weekend...Fabulous! Tasted exactly like a BLT, but without the guilt of the bread. (the little bit in the stuffing doesn't count : }.) They are very satisfying when you need a little comfort food and pretty filling too...makes a nice light lunch. Highly recommend these as a meal starter or a light lunch!