From Martha Stewart's Holiday Sweets 2010. I made this over the summer-it's as lovely to look at as it is to eat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temp
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 (12 ounce) jar preserved sour cherries
- 1/4 cup kirsch
- pastry cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- chocolate ganache
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1For the cake.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Butter three 8 inch round cake pans-line bottoms with parchment paper.
- 4Butter parchment paper and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- 5Set aside.
- 6In a large mixing bowl sift together all the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- 7With a mixer on medium speed cream all the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy.
- 8Add the brown sugar beating until fluffy.
- 9Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 10Mix in the sour cream.
- 11Reduce speed to low.
- 12Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk.
- 13Divide batter evenly among the prepared cake pans.
- 14Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- 15Place on wire racks and cool completely.
- 16When cool run a knife around sides of pans to loosen-remove cakes.
- 17Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons juice.
- 18Combine juice and kirsch.
- 19Using a serated knife cut off the tops of cakes so that they are level.
- 20Brush tops of cakes with the kirsch mixture.
- 21Place a cake layer on a serving plate.
- 22Spread 1 and 1/2 cups pastry cream evenly over cake.
- 23Arrange 15 drained cherries evenly over top.
- 24Place second cake layer, brushed side up on top.
- 25Spread with remaining pastry cream, top with 15 drained cherries.
- 26Place third cake layer, brushed side DOWN.
- 27To serve warm ganache in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, JUST until spreadable.
- 28Pour onto the middle of top cake layer.
- 29Spread evenly, allowing some to drizzle down sides.
- 30Garnish with remaining cherries.
- 31Pastry Cream.
- 32With an electric mixer on medium high whisk whole eggs, yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until pale and thick.
- 33Sift in cornstarch.
- 34Whisk on medium low speed until combined.
- 35Prepare a ice water bath.
- 36In a medium saucepan bring milk and remaining 1/4 cup sugar to a boil.
- 37Whisking constantly slowly pour half the milk mixture into the egg mixture whisking until smooth.
- 38Pour mixture back into saucepan with remaining milk-whisk over medium heat until mixture reaches the consistency of mayo-around 3 minutes.
- 39Pass through a fine sieve into a large bowl-discard solids.
- 40Add butter a few pieces at a time stirring until melted.
- 41Set bowl in ice-water bath until chilled.
- 42Stir in vanilla.
- 43Cover with plastic wrap pressing directly onto surface.
- 44Chill until set-around 2-3 hours.
- 46Finely chop chocolate in a food processor.
- 47In a small saucepan stir together cream and honey.
- 48Bring to a boil.
- 49With food processor running slowly pour hot cream mixture through the feed tube.
- 50Process until well combined.
- 51Transfer to a bowl-cover with plastic wrap.
- 52Refrigerate at least 3 hours-up to two days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Inside-Out Black Forest Cake
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1051.3
- Calories from Fat 505
- Total Fat 56.1 g
- Saturated Fat 33.5 g
- Cholesterol 270.5 mg
- Sodium 514.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 133.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 82.9 g
- Protein 18.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: