Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is just like a traditional bacon cheeseburger, but inside out! It's another innovative recipe from Rachael Ray. It looked delicious when she made it, so I can't wait to try it!
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 scallions, cleaned and trimmed
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 1⁄3 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning (or coarse salt and black pepper)
- 1⁄2 lb extra sharp white cheddar cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 4 crusty kaiser rolls, split
- 4 leaves crisp romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill pan over high heat.
- In a medium pan brown bacon over medium high heat and drain on paper towel lined plate.
- Brush scallions with a little oil and grill on hot grill pan 2 or 3 minutes on each side; remove from heat to cool.
- To make the burgers, combine ground beef with Worcestershire and steak seasoning or salt and pepper; divide meat into 4 equal parts.
- Combine cheese crumbles and cooked bacon.
- Take 1/4 of the meat in your hand and make a well in the center of it.
- Pile in cheese and bacon, then carefully form the burger around the cheese and bacon filling; make sure the fillings are completely covered with meat.
- When all 4 patties are formed, drizzle burgers with oil and place on hot grill pan.
- Cook 2 minutes on each side over high heat, reduce heat to medium low and cook burgers 7 or 8 minutes longer, turning occasionally.
- Do not press down on burgers as they cook.
- Transfer burgers to a plate and let them rest 5 minutes before serving.
- To make the green onion mayonnaise, chop cooled, grilled green onions and add to a food processor.
- Add mayonnaise and cumin to the food processor and pulse the onions and mayonnaise.
- Season with salt and pepper, to your taste.
- Pile burgers on crusty buns and top with crisp lettuce leaves and a slather of green onion mayonnaise.
- As you bite into the burgers, you will find a smoky, cheesy surprise at the center.
I also made them inside because of the rainy seaon here right now. I used 1 1/2 lbs of hamburg instead to be able to hold more filling. These were so gooood! Hubby says these burgers are the best he has ever had! Definite keeper here. Thanks Kree ; )
PICK YOUR CHEF DEC 2003! These were excellent burgers! I doubled the recipe and because it is too cold outside, I fried these in a pan instead of grilling. I didn't do the mayo bacause we don't like it on burgers, but followed everything else. One thing I should mention...I don't know how anyone could get that much cheese inside! I didn't even end up using half of what was listed and I really crammed them with cheese, but we still enjoyed them...next time I may use the remaining cheese on top. Very, very tasty burgers...a little extra effort, but worth it. Thanks for sharing this unique recipe!
These are fantastic burgers. I made these yesterday for my family and they are so good. One of my burgers spring a "leak" abut otherwise they were perfect. We loved the green onion mayo, complimented the burgers beautifully. Thank you for sharing.